A conference dedicated to Fibromyalgia, an opportunity to discuss a disease that is still much to say and understand. A moment to talk about who, with this pathology, has been living for years. Too many.
It was a very important day for me and for the colleagues who supported me: Dr. Stefano Gervasi and Professor Pio Conti, whom I sincerely thank for their participation; just as I heartily thank Romina Rossoli for her touching testimony.
Thanks also to everyone present at the Sala dei Marmi of the Province of Pescara and to those who, in the following days, have contacted me to thank me for having finally brought some light on the subject.
And it is for all those who could not be present at the conference on Fibromyalgia that I write this article, summarizing the objectives of the meeting in 5 points.
- There is an association of fibromyalgic patients, composed of real people, who are ill and who are desperate with the desire to cry out their pain to the world; thirsty for visibility, sharing and recognition given the high social cost of the disease.
- Here comes a great international figure: Professor Conti and scientific research that has given an immunological definition of the disease, with involvement of the central nervous system and peripheral inflammatory expression with continuous research on physiopathological and therapeutic mechanisms. So it is not an autoimmune disease, but a disease caused by a poisoning of the immune system.
- The real difficulty in the management of the disease by the National Health System, associated with a real need for information and training of family doctors, to give an effective and efficient response to patients.
- The multifactorial therapeutic protocol, personalized, with a central key: the recovery of restorative sleep. A more or less spontaneous and / or pharmacologically induced recovery which, together with cannabis therapy, causes the recovery of the endo-cannabinoid system. As well as psychological support, Hydrokinesitherapy, enjoyable physical activity and massages.
- The nutrition, very important, with a mixture of essential amino acids combined with supplements and an anti-inflammatory diet.
A comparison that we can conclude by saying that Fibromyalgia, as it has a multifactorial origin, requires a complex, personalized therapy, and different controls to perfect the cure.